Wednesday, February 17, 2010

I Learned Something New!

When I first read this I was shocked...and felt lied to...but as I got thinking about it, I've never been taught in church about this idea. I think it's something interesting to note, and it's a big "mormon myth" that most people in our church believe. This is quoted from the book "How Do You Know When You're Really In Love?" by Robert K. McIntosh


"Some young people spend their dating years looking for the person they chose in premortality-their so-called "soul mate." They believe that when they meet this person there will be an immediate attraction because the have already selected each other. Such young people believe that marriages were made in heaven. Consider an experience Brother Truman Madsen once had with President and Sister Joseph Fielding Smith.

"I was in the Church offices when I ran into his wife. Since she was going into his office, she took me with her. 'Let's go see Daddy,' she said. I knew who Daddy was. As the great Church scripturalist he overawed me. He looked up with a smile and said, 'Brother Madsen, you can have one question.' So I asked, 'Bother Smith, do you think marriages are made in heaven?' Well, I had him over a barrel-his wife was standing there. And he hesitated, so she kind of punched him. 'Daddy, Daddy, don't you think our marriage was made in heaven?' Now, he had to be honest. So he said, 'Well, it's in heaven now.'"

"Here is what Joseph Fielding Smith taught publicly regarding this myth: "we have no scriptural justification, however, for the belief that we had the privilege of choosing our parents and our life companions in the spirit world. This belief has been advocated by some, and it is possible that in some instances it is true, but it would require too great a stretch of the imagination to believe it to be so in all, or even in the majority of cases. Most likely we came where those in authority decided to send us. Our agency may not have been exercised to the extent of making choice of parents and posterity.'"

This book was so interesting! I wish I could type it all up and let you all read it! Even if you are married I would still recommend you read it because it has some great tips on marriages and improving yourself to be the best companion you can be. I think as I get older this knowledge from this book will really help me be prepared to make good choices and prepare for celestial marriage.

1 comment:

Edna said...

It makes a lot of sense, Kaitlyn. I would like to think Grandpa and I have always been an "item" but I am so grateful that when the time was right the right things happen. There are a lot of people who are disappointed in love and I've thought about that a lot too ... it boils down to the fact that you must always work to make it grow and to do that you have to go through both the ups and the downs together. It is all those things you conquer together that make your marriage feel like it was made in heaven. The most important thing is a good relationship with Christ so you are looking for the right things when it is time. I love you so much!