Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Touched Today

It's kind of long, but keep reading.

Lately I haven't wanted to read the Book of Mormon. I've thought "it holds no power for me". I also think back to the great experience I had in August, but it didn't matter, I just didn't want to read it. Lately I've become so overwhelmed with life that I've felt like I can't do anything. I KNOW that is the devil, but I can't help but host the thought. So many principles in the church can't be applied to me right now either because of my age or my family situation. That makes me feel so upset and I sometimes wish I could control people, but not for long, because I remember that that's why Jesus is our Savior. I guess I'm a little scared to succeed in too many things because I'm afraid I'll become prideful, I haven't learned how to be humble yet. So life has just been scaring me in general.
Today in seminary we had a lesson about how the devil works. Afterwards our teacher told us why he wanted to be a seminary teacher. He said it was because he wanted to see if kids had experience a mighty change of heart. On one test we had we had to write an essay about the Book of Mormon. So he said that while correcting them, he could tell that students had indeed experienced a mighty change of heart. He proceeded to read some to us so we could understand how other kids in our class were doing. After reading about 4-5 he said "I'd especially like you to hear this one, it's really well written". It said,
"The Book of Mormon is an important book to read. It can teach us about who we are, where we come from, and where we are going. It teaches us the steps Heavenly Father needs us to take to return to Him. It helps us know what steps we need to be taking to be happy in life and be the best we can. It's just a great comfort to know that Heavenly Father took the time to have this book written for us. This book could have a huge impact on one's life if they allow it to. They can learn that someone out there loves them and wants only the best for them. It can change some one's life completely around. Instead of heading to a place of sadness, they can head to eternal happiness with their families. After reading the scriptures they learn how to live their life following light. There are a couple of steps that you must take to know its from God. The most obvious answer is to pray and ponder. You must ask Heavenly Father to help you know it is right. You have to understand what the scriptures are teaching and try to learn with an open heart. Finally, you must follow this scripture, Moroni 10:4-6.
While reading my scriptures I try to follow these steps. I pray and diligently search to know the scriptures. I do my best to have an open heart and follow his commandments in the scriptures. Many times I have prayed to Heavenly Father that He will give me direction in what I need in life. After praying I will randomly open my scriptures and the scripture will teach me exactly what I was looking for. I love the power the Book of Mormon holds for this generation."
It was mine. After reading it I was almost in tears, along with my seminary teacher. He testified to us that God loves us and that the scriptures will remind us of that and when we read them, Satan will have no power over us. After class I walked up to Him and asked Him if I could take my paper, so I'd always have this reminder.
After wards it was lunch and I had a somber heart and it was hard for me to go back to the busy ways of the school. I quietly pondered the things in my heart as the noise of the world was around me. I truly felt in the world, but not of it.
I was definiteley touched today.

1 comment: